Talbot D. Barrow

Talbot Duffy Barrow was born on March 6, 1911 in Belhaven, North Carolina. He became a resident of Virginia in 1917 when he moved to the Cradock section. He attended Cradock High School, graduating in 1930.

Before becoming a police officer, Talbot Barrow held positions in both the public and private sectors. His positions ranged from deckhand on steamships, to being a police officer in the city of Portsmouth, Virginia, to being a private detective. Following the declaration of war in 1941, Talbot Barrow enlisted in the U. S. Navy on February 17, 1942. He saw action in many campaigns as part of the U. S. Navy invasion forces. He obtained the rank of Boatswain Mate Second Class and was honorably discharged following the cessation of hostilities on November 15, 1945.

Officer Barrow was appointed as a Norfolk County Police Officer on May 9, 1953, and was assigned badge number twenty-four.

At 5:37 AM on August 14, 1953, car number one of the Tanners Creek district with Officer Barrow and his partner Officer R. A. Marshall was dispatched to Elders Corner to protect life and property from live electric wires, which had broken from the high winds of hurricane Barbara.

Responding to the scene, Officers Barrow and Marshall encountered deep water on the roadway.

Officer Barrow stepped out of the vehicle to investigate the situation. Upon exiting the police cruiser, Officer Barrow came into contact with a live high voltage electrical line which was lying in the water.

Officer Barrow was immediately electrocuted. Officer Marshall was severely shocked when he tried to pull Officer Barrow back into the patrol car.

Passing citizens came to the aid of the officers. Unfortunately, Officer Barrow could not be revived and was pronounced dead on arrival at DePaul Hospital.

Officer Marshall was revived and returned to full duty.

Sheriff J. Arthur Hodges, Sheriff of the Norfolk County Police Department, was deeply affected by Officer Barrow's death and stated he had never known a more conscientious officer in the Department.

Officer Barrow was married to Betty Jean Barrow and had no children.

Officer Talbot Duffy Barrow was killed in the line of duty on August 14, 1953, while in performance of his fundamental duties of serving mankind, safeguarding lives and property.

Member Login
Welcome, (First Name)!

Forgot? Show
Log In
Enter Member Area
My Profile Not a member? Sign up. Log Out