Ray Pierce Gallimore

Ray Pierce Gallimore was originally a native of Galax, Virginia, but had lived in Chesapeake for approximately eighteen years. He attended Great Bridge High School where he graduated on June 9, 1950.

Ray Gallimore was married to Virginia Deer Gallimore having two step children with Virginia, Katie Jo Seidman and Rebecca Ann Seidman. They resided at 412 Rock Creek Drive. Ray Gallimore had been previously married to Marilyn Lee Pike for 18 years and together had two children, Kenneth Ray and Vickie Sue.

Prior to his appointment as a police officer, Ray Gallimore held various interesting positions throughout the local community receiving four letters of commendations and was highly respected by his friends, neighbors and fellow officers.

Officer Gallimore was appointed as a Chesapeake Police Officer on December 16, 1967. He graduated from the Tidewater Police Academy and the Central Police Training School.

Shortly after 1:00 p.m. on November 30, 1974, while on patrol in the Deep Creek section of Chesapeake, Officer Gallimore came upon a minor, single motor vehicle accident at the intersection of George Washington Highway and Wildwood Road.

Officer Gallimore signed off with the dispatcher and exited his police vehicle to investigate the accident. As he spoke to the driver of the accident vehicle, the driver suddenly jumped from the vehicle and pulled a gun on Officer Gallimore. A struggle ensued and the suspect gained control of Officer Gallimore's service weapon.

The suspect abducted Officer Gallimore at gun point, forcing Officer Gallimore into the police vehicle. The suspect used the police vehicle to head into the city of Portsmouth. Citizens who had observed the incident notified the police.

At the intersection of Jefferson Street and Atlanta Avenue in the city of Portsmouth, Officer Gallimore attempted to wrestle the gun away from the suspect. The suspect then shot Officer Gallimore in the head, killing him instantly.

The suspect left the police car, commandeered another vehicle, placing that vehicle's driver in the trunk, and drove away. Approximately fifteen minutes later, the suspect was cornered at High Street and 27th Street in the city of Portsmouth. When faced with apprehension by the Police, the suspect turned the weapon on himself and shot himself in the head, dying instantly.

The suspect was a five-term convict who was out on the work release program.

Officer Gallimore was the first Chesapeake Police Officer killed in the line of duty since the city's incorporation in 1963.

Officer Ray Pierce Galimore was killed in the line of duty on November 30, 1974, while in performance of his fundamental duties of serving mankind, safeguarding lives and property.

Member Login
Welcome, (First Name)!

Forgot? Show
Log In
Enter Member Area
My Profile Not a member? Sign up. Log Out